Why TLC for Tutoring?
- Students of all ages and abilities can benefit from our one-on-one tutoring in a variety of academic areas.
- We specialize in working with students who have learning differences or who have been diagnosed with a specific learning disability.
- TLC’s individualized one-on-one tutoring can be adapted to provide help and strategies for a wide range of academic needs
- We provide remedial instruction, enrichment, or support schoolwork to provide extra instruction in areas of need, including reading, spelling writing, math or study skills.
- Students work with a tutor consistently, who is carefully selected to meet their needs, who provides written goals to address those needs, and who monitors progress.
We will discuss your tutoring/coaching needs and answer any questions you may have. You will be asked specific questions about your student’s learning style and the type of help you or your child needs. This information will help us find the right tutor to match your needs. We will ask you what times and days are possible for the tutoring in order to fit your child into our tutoring schedule.
We do not require testing before beginning tutoring. Our tutors may do informal assessments and adjust teaching strategies as they go along. However, any information you can provide is helpful. If you or your child has been tested at TLC, we have access to those report in our file. If you or your child has a testing report from another source, or an individualized education plan (IEP) from school, we may ask you to send in or bring copies.
For elementary school students, we work on basic reading, writing, or math skills.
- Reading Decoding -we have tutors who are trained in research-based programs,
- Reading Comprehension – we teach specific strategies to help children understand and remember what they read.
- Writing can be a complicated process We help break the process down into small steps to improve their confidence.
- Math – we review or re-teach the basics, explaining the processes in a way that addresses the student’s learning style or break it down into smaller steps to increase a student’s confidence.
Middle school students sometimes have many of the same needs as elementary students—just at a higher level.
- We use many of the same methods and strategies.
- We use the schoolwork/homework to help diagnose the area of need, teach the student a strategy to help in that area, and then show the student how to apply that strategy to his or her other schoolwork.
We also teach organization/study skills at this level to help students understand their learning style and apply organizational strategies that will help them the most. The focus on organizational skills is especially helpful for students with ADD, ADHD, or Executive Dysfunction.
For high school and college students, tutoring often focuses on a particular subject.
We use the student’s schoolwork:
- To help diagnose the difficulty
- Teach strategies to facilitate the successful completion of assignments
- Help the student to practice and apply the strategies to his or her schoolwork
These strategies could include:
- Using a graphic organizer to plan an essay
- Taking notes or outlining a reading assignment
- Or applying a memory strategy to a math process
Tutoring in organizational skills, methods to complete homework more efficiently, and methods to prepare for different kinds of tests can also be helpful for high school and college students.
- We work with adults with disabilities in basic reading, writing, and math skills. Adults with dyslexia or difficulties with English-as-a-Second Language have made good progress in reading decoding and fluency using the Wilson Reading System.
- We have also worked on business writing skills with young adults who have dyslexia or ADHD. Our tutors have worked with adults who are successful in their jobs but need help with writing organization or editing to advance in their careers.
TLC Online Plus Tutoring is a unique program that provides individualized tutoring services. If you or a family member needs skilled tutoring but struggles to find the time to drive to a tutoring center, TLC Online Plus Tutoring will provide an integrated approach to tutoring while offering convenience and accessibility. We know that one size does not fit all, and this provides a convenient option for our tutoring students and their families.
- Local, skilled tutors with experienced supervision. Our tutors have a broad range of educational credentials including state certification, special education expertise, and years of experience. We match expertise to each individual student’s needs.
- Our tutors work as a team with the student’s family, teachers, and other key individuals as appropriate. We offer individualized, differentiated lessons with ongoing written feedback.
- Flexibility in learning is key! We are available online and in person depending on your child’s needs.
- We believe in lifelong learning not only for our students, but also for our tutors. Our tutors use research-based practices, and our tutoring team is led by an experienced supervisor.
- We set SMART goals: Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Timely.
- A computer with internet access, a camera, and a microphone (headphones are recommended).
- A quiet, distraction-free environment for the lesson.
- A commitment to the agreed-upon schedule and payment method.
Getting Started For Tutoring and Coaching
- We will discuss your tutoring/coaching needs and answer any questions you may have.
- You will be asked specific questions about your student’s learning style and the type of help you or your child needs.
- We will ask you what times and days are possible for the tutoring in order to fit your child into our tutoring schedule.
- We do not require testing before beginning tutoring. Our tutors may do informal assessments and adjust teaching strategies as they go along. However, any information you can provide is helpful. If you or your child has been tested at TLC, we have access to those report in our file. If you or your child has a testing report from another source, or an individualized education plan (IEP) from school, we may ask you to send in or bring copies.
What kind of background do TLC tutors have?
Our tutors are required to have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree; many have a Masters and are current or former teachers.
- They all have teaching and tutoring experience as well as training and experience in working with children with learning disabilities.
- All tutors at TLC receive tutor training courses and/or other professional development courses to prepare them to best serve client needs.
How long will a student need tutoring?
The duration of tutoring programs varies greatly with the student and the area of difficulty.
- Our tutors give individualized advice based on their work with each student and usually design teaching goals to last a semester (four to five months) at a time.
- However, it is up to the student and family to decide how long to continue.
- We have some students who continue for several years with the same tutor, adjusting their goals as their skills improve.
- Other students come for a boost in a specific area and are at TLC for a shorter period of time.
What is Coaching?
Executive Functioning coaching can be very helpful for middle schoolers, high schools, and college students to learn organizational and planning skills.
- The coach and client establish specific goals and objectives.
- Sessions are solution- and action-oriented, and focus on developing strategies for success. Coaches provide support, encouragement, and structure with an emphasis on accountability throughout the process.
- The frequency and length of sessions are decided jointly by the coach and client, based on the client’s needs.
- Appointments may occur in person, online, or a combination of these as determined by the coach and client.
Online Plus Tutoring
Is this an online-only tutoring service?
TLC’s Online Plus Tutoring provides a combination of in-person and online tutoring to meet your child’s needs. We can create plans in which the child comes in intermittently or only as needed. This is a great option for students who can learn on an online platform, and who need the convenience of tutoring where they are.
What if I need to cancel because my student is sick?
We understand and require four-hour notice to cancel the session with no charge.
What if we experience technical difficulties during the session?
If you and/or your tutor experience technical difficulties you will only be charged for teachable lesson time.
What if I have questions about the session?
Call or email your tutor for more information.