About

70+ Years Strong

For more than 70 years, The Treatment and Learning Centers (TLC) have provided services to meet the needs of our community. From our modest beginning in 1950 as a therapeutic center to serve children and adults suffering from the impact of polio, to today with our “family of services” that provides a wide range of programs to assist those we serve and their families

Our Historical Timeline

Learn about our history and our firsts not only in Montgomery County but also in Maryland.

Today & Beyond

TLC continues to expand the wide range of services to meet the ever-expanding special needs of adults and children. With over 200 staff members at three locations, we serve more than 2,000 individuals each year.

2020

TLC celebrate our 70th year, KTS celebrates its’ 25th year

2019

We raised nearly $1.2 million dollars for our Raise the Roof Campaign, surpassing the initial goal of $600,000! Raise the Roof provided much-needed infrastructure fixes to the Katherine Thomas School, including but not limited to the roof, flooring, windows, and parking lot. The original budget projected to cost $600,000 to complete projects, but due to complications, we needed over $900,000 to complete projects.

2018

We raised over $840,000 including donations for our Raise the Roof campaign. Of note, 47% of the money came from individuals, 25% from corporations and 28% from foundations. 

We purchased our Medical Center Drive land, increasing sustainability.

2017

We raised over $600,000 and exceeded our development goals. Of note, 47% of the money raised came from individuals, 25% from corporations and 28% from foundations.

2016

We opened a new Family Hearing Center location at Asbury Methodist Village. We now have three locations and have expanded our hearing health care services.

2015

65th Anniversary held

In 2013, KTS added STRIDE and EXCEL, small transitional programs intended for students who require more intensive support to succeed academically and socially. This year we added BOOST for middle school students, rounding out the initiative for more intensive programs at KTS.

2014

TLC/Outcomes signed an agreement with CVS to collaborate on training individuals with disabilities for jobs and promoting job opportunities.

2013

Purchased our first bus to transport KTS students from Northern Virginia. We currently have 11 students giving us great visibility on the Beltway every day

Creation of STRIDE and EXCEL programs at KTS to support students with more intensive needs

TLC Early Learning Center closed 7-31-13  

2012

State of Maryland for awarding us a $275,000 bond bill to support critically needed upgrades to our Medical Center Drive facility, where KTS is located

We started a new Transitional Advocacy Program that fills a need in the community

2011

TLC moves from Research Boulevard to our current Gaither Rd outpatient space

2010

60th Anniversary Celebration. With an operating budget of 11 million, 200+ staff at three locations serve over 2,100 individuals each year.

2009

Dr. Patricia Ritter becomes Executive Director of TLC

First full KTS high school graduating class of 31 students.

2008

TLC created Help Others Hear to provide new hearing aids to people who could not otherwise afford them.

Dick Pavlin leaves Executive Director position

First two KTS high school graduates receive their diplomas.

2005

High School Program begins.

2004

Launched Realizing Every Students Dream Campaign for new high school program.

2000

50th Anniversary

1998 & 1999

Groundbreaking for new $2.9 million school wing, completed in the summer of 1999, which doubled the size of the original building.

1997

Graduated the first 3 students from KTS.

1996

Launched $1.3 million Building Foundations campaign for a new school wing.

1995

A $3.4million bequest from the estate of Katherine Thomas in early 1995 led the way for the opening of The Katherine Thomas School (KTS) in the fall, serving preschool through fifth grade.

1991

First Lady Barbara Bush visits. 

1990

Established The Testing and Tutoring Service with specialists in learning disabilities.

1988

Moved into new 26,000 square foot facility at Shady Grove Life Sciences complex.

1987

Opened Shady Grove Early Learning Center, offering childcare for infants, toddlers and preschoolers, which later expanded to the Medical Center Drive location and eventually became The Early Learning Center

1986

Began the first day and vocational program in Montgomery County for adults with head injuries, which later became The Outcomes Service.

1985

Launched Creating Brighter Tomorrows campaign, raising $1.1 million for new facility. 

1984

Awarded $1 million grant from the Maryland General Assembly to construct a new facility at 9971 Medical Center Drive.

1983

Became independent, unaffiliated agency and adopted new name of The Treatment Centers for Disabled Children and Adults, Inc. 

1980

Dick Pavlin becomes Executive Director of TLC

Opened the Frederick Treatment Center at 615 North Market Street in a building later donated by Albert and Etta Cohen, offering audiology, physical, occupational and speech therapy until it closed in 1986.

1977

Established Infant Program. 

1972

Established the Gudelsky therapeutic swim program at the Jewish Community Center, begun in the backyard pool of Martha and Homer Gudelsky in 1958.

1970

U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare funds a national model demonstration project for the preschool speech-language program. 

1964

Opened the first private audiology service in Montgomery County, which later became The Family Hearing Center

1963

First preschool speech and language classes begin with 20 children.

1962

Rear Admiral Kenmore McManus serves as the first Executive Director.

1958

Moved into new 6600 square foot facility at 1000   Twinbrook Parkway, constructed for $64,000  on land donated by Joseph Geerhaert, head of Maryland Suburban Home Builders, which donated the labor. Nine full-time staff with a budget of $45,000 provided services to 400+ individuals annually.

1953

Opened new treatment center at the American Legion Building, 1206 Rockville Pike.

1950

Founded as The Easter Seal Treatment Center of the Montgomery Society for Crippled Children and Adults. Rented one room in the basement of a church. Robert Shaw serves as first President of the Board of Trustees.