70+ Years Strong
For more than 70 years, The Treatment and Learning Centers (TLC) have provided services to meet the needs of our community. From our modest beginning in 1950 as a therapeutic center to serve children and adults suffering from the impact of polio, to today with our “family of services” that provides a wide range of programs to assist those we serve and their families
Our Historical Timeline
Learn about our history and our firsts not only in Montgomery County but also in Maryland.
Today & Beyond
TLC continues to expand the wide range of services to meet the ever-expanding special needs of adults and children. With over 200 staff members at three locations, we serve more than 2,000 individuals each year.
TLC celebrate our 70th year, KTS celebrates its’ 25th year
We raised nearly $1.2 million dollars for our Raise the Roof Campaign, surpassing the initial goal of $600,000! Raise the Roof provided much-needed infrastructure fixes to the Katherine Thomas School, including but not limited to the roof, flooring, windows, and parking lot. The original budget projected to cost $600,000 to complete projects, but due to complications, we needed over $900,000 to complete projects.
We raised over $840,000 including donations for our Raise the Roof campaign. Of note, 47% of the money came from individuals, 25% from corporations and 28% from foundations.
We purchased our Medical Center Drive land, increasing sustainability.
We raised over $600,000 and exceeded our development goals. Of note, 47% of the money raised came from individuals, 25% from corporations and 28% from foundations.
We opened a new Family Hearing Center location at Asbury Methodist Village. We now have three locations and have expanded our hearing health care services.
65th Anniversary held
In 2013, KTS added STRIDE and EXCEL, small transitional programs intended for students who require more intensive support to succeed academically and socially. This year we added BOOST for middle school students, rounding out the initiative for more intensive programs at KTS.
TLC/Outcomes signed an agreement with CVS to collaborate on training individuals with disabilities for jobs and promoting job opportunities.
Purchased our first bus to transport KTS students from Northern Virginia. We currently have 11 students giving us great visibility on the Beltway every day
Creation of STRIDE and EXCEL programs at KTS to support students with more intensive needs
TLC Early Learning Center closed 7-31-13
State of Maryland for awarding us a $275,000 bond bill to support critically needed upgrades to our Medical Center Drive facility, where KTS is located
We started a new Transitional Advocacy Program that fills a need in the community
TLC moves from Research Boulevard to our current Gaither Rd outpatient space
60th Anniversary Celebration. With an operating budget of 11 million, 200+ staff at three locations serve over 2,100 individuals each year.
Dr. Patricia Ritter becomes Executive Director of TLC
First full KTS high school graduating class of 31 students.
TLC created Help Others Hear to provide new hearing aids to people who could not otherwise afford them.
Dick Pavlin leaves Executive Director position
First two KTS high school graduates receive their diplomas.
High School Program begins.
Launched Realizing Every Students Dream Campaign for new high school program.
1998 & 1999
Groundbreaking for new $2.9 million school wing, completed in the summer of 1999, which doubled the size of the original building.
Graduated the first 3 students from KTS.
Launched $1.3 million Building Foundations campaign for a new school wing.
A $3.4million bequest from the estate of Katherine Thomas in early 1995 led the way for the opening of The Katherine Thomas School (KTS) in the fall, serving preschool through fifth grade.
First Lady Barbara Bush visits.
Established The Testing and Tutoring Service with specialists in learning disabilities.
Moved into new 26,000 square foot facility at Shady Grove Life Sciences complex.
Opened Shady Grove Early Learning Center, offering childcare for infants, toddlers and preschoolers, which later expanded to the Medical Center Drive location and eventually became The Early Learning Center.
Began the first day and vocational program in Montgomery County for adults with head injuries, which later became The Outcomes Service.
Launched Creating Brighter Tomorrows campaign, raising $1.1 million for new facility.
Awarded $1 million grant from the Maryland General Assembly to construct a new facility at 9971 Medical Center Drive.
Became independent, unaffiliated agency and adopted new name of The Treatment Centers for Disabled Children and Adults, Inc.
Dick Pavlin becomes Executive Director of TLC
Opened the Frederick Treatment Center at 615 North Market Street in a building later donated by Albert and Etta Cohen, offering audiology, physical, occupational and speech therapy until it closed in 1986.
Established Infant Program.
Established the Gudelsky therapeutic swim program at the Jewish Community Center, begun in the backyard pool of Martha and Homer Gudelsky in 1958.
U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare funds a national model demonstration project for the preschool speech-language program.
Opened the first private audiology service in Montgomery County, which later became The Family Hearing Center
First preschool speech and language classes begin with 20 children.
Rear Admiral Kenmore McManus serves as the first Executive Director.
Moved into new 6600 square foot facility at 1000 Twinbrook Parkway, constructed for $64,000 on land donated by Joseph Geerhaert, head of Maryland Suburban Home Builders, which donated the labor. Nine full-time staff with a budget of $45,000 provided services to 400+ individuals annually.
Opened new treatment center at the American Legion Building, 1206 Rockville Pike.
Founded as The Easter Seal Treatment Center of the Montgomery Society for Crippled Children and Adults. Rented one room in the basement of a church. Robert Shaw serves as first President of the Board of Trustees.